Cancer is a term which refers to conditions where the body's cells begin to grow and reproduce in an uncontrollable way. One in three people will be affected by cancer at one point in their life, however it is estimated that up to half of all cancer cases could have been prevented.
There are a number of ways you can limit your chances of getting cancer:
• Stop smoking
• Eat regular portions of fruit and vegetables and have a general balanced diet
• Reduce your weight if you are obese
• Take regular exercise
• Limit your alcohol consumption
• Go to your screening invitations
• Protect yourself in the sun
Cancer help - a site provided by Cancer Research UK to provide information about cancer for sufferers and relatives.
Cancer Backup a site provided by Macmillan Cancer Support with helpful information and contact links.
NHS Choices cancer information